Milwaukee Public Schools uses Gmail for student accounts. Information about using student emails is provided on this page.
From August 1, 2021, to October 1, 2021, the district is transitioning ALL student emails from Office 365 to Gmail.
- Gmail offers better integration with Google Classroom and Chromebooks.
- When logging in to a Chromebook, students will automatically be logged in to their email.
- Teachers will be able to easily email students from within Google Classroom.
- New email addresses are being issued that are shorter and easier to use in the format studentID@mymps.org.
- The password for the new email address will be the same as the current password.
What should students do during this transition?
- During the transition period, students should STOP sending mail from their Outlook address (studentID@student.milwaukee.k12.wi.us). They should continue to check their Outlook email account and notify contacts of their new address.
- Students should begin using their new email address (studentID@mymps.org) for sending emails.
- Students should notify their contacts of the new email address. This includes colleges and scholarship applications in progress.
- Download any important emails or documents to their Google Drive. MPS Technology will NOT be moving any existing emails or file attachments to the new system.
- On October 1, 2021, access to Office365 email will end and all emails on that system will be deleted.
How do students access Gmail?
- Select the link to Gmail on the Chromebook shelf, similar to Google Classroom.
- Click on the Gmail icon under the Google apps menu.
What resources are available for students to learn about Gmail?
Students can learn about Gmail by visiting the following sites.
Logging on to Google
- On the login screen of a Chromebook, students will see @mymps.org already filled in. Students must type in their ID number.
- When logging in to their MPS Google account on a PC, students will type in their Student ID plus @mymps.org. Example: S1234567@mymps.org.
Email Best Practices
With the introduction of a new email address, MPS recommends the following best practices to keep the student email system safe and secure.
- Use ONLY your school-provided email address for school-related communication.
- Don’t use your school-provided email address to sign up for services or accounts unrelated to class assignments.
- Be cautious when opening email attachments and links, especially those marked with an “External Message” flag.
- Respond to emails ONLY from people you know and trust.
- Be alert for email phishing or impersonation scams that ask for personal information.
- Keep your password secure and change your password if you think your account has been compromised.
- MPS student email is intended for student-to-student and student-to-teacher communication, along with other approved education-related communication such as colleges and universities. The MPS student email system should not be used for nonschool-related email messaging.
Who can students contact if they have questions about Gmail?
Students can call the Technology Support Center at 414-438-3400 or send an email to email@example.com.