In 2017, recognizing a need to improve outcomes for MPS students in the 53206 ZIP code, the MPS53206 Initiative was designed. The overarching goal of this plan was identified as increasing academic achievement for students. Analyzing the challenges faced by children and families in the area, MPS committed staff, time, and resources to identify needs, develop interventions, and implement solutions.
As this initiative has progressed, five goals have taken shape that are driving the vision and execution of this important work.
- Expand high-quality instructional practices
- Enhance social and emotional well-being of students
- Increase family engagement
- Broaden community partnerships
- Promote teaching and leadership development
School communities from the nine schools in the area are working together to share best practices, engage with families, and connect with students to maximize success.
Response to Trauma
Observing that emotional trauma interferes with learning and that a high number of students experience trauma, the district has designed a new system of supports.
- Each 53206 school has a Trauma Support Specialist who helps children overcome trauma and assists educators.
- Mobile Crisis Units reside in two schools to respond to crisis events and support all 53206 schools. Units have a social worker, psychologist, school counselor, and nurse.
We are grateful to Milwaukee businesses and organizations that have invested time and financial support to help improve our students’ futures.
Signs of Success
We will know our efforts are successful when we observe positive changes in our target schools:
- Increased attendance
- Increased scores on standardized tests
- Increased student and staff satisfaction
- Decrease in behavior infractions
53206 Promise Partnership Schools
The district is actively building a strong pathway from kindergarten to middle school to high school so students can access high-quality education in their own neighborhood, enhancing continuity and consistency.