An error (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.) was encountered trying to format content from PageUrl=/en/Static-Content/alert.htm Close Message
Milwaukee Public Schools Logo: High-quality school options for 3-year-olds to high school seniors
Main Content


Transportation Changes

Please visit your child's school to make updates to your transportation arrangements. You can also make transportation changes electronically from home using MPS's Infinite Campus Parent Portal. You will need to create a user account. Your child's school will need to assist with creating a Parent Portal account.

Student getting off of school busThe Department of Business and Transportation Services provides safe, reliable, responsive and efficient transportation services, with students as our central focus. The department's buses travel more than 15 million miles annually. In fulfilling its mission, the department:

  1. Provides home-to-school and school-to-home transportation services for approximately 51,000 students every school day.
  2. Enables students to attend their school of choice, as well as participate in all school activities and programs.
  3. Offers a flexible transportation system that accommodates varied needs, all within published policies and guidelines.
  4. Directs more funding to classroom education by reducing transportation expenses.

The department is responsible for the provision of student transportation and the scheduling of all school, athletic and special-busing programs. It also administers Milwaukee County Transit System (MCTS) ridership programs.

All routing information originates from Infinite Campus, the Milwaukee Public Schools' (MPS) student-information system. Please contact your student's school if your family is moving, is changing child-care providers or if you would like to request a different bus stop. It is the school's responsibility to verify all requests.

The department is open from 7:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m Monday through Friday during the regular school year. The phone number is 414-475-8922.

Bus Contractors

The following bus companies service MPS.  You may contact any of the following bus companies directly

ALC 833-961-1349 Lamers Bus Lines 414-282-3566
Dairyland Bus 414-963-8770 Milw. County Transit 414-344-6711
Durham School Bus 414-760-7480 Riteway Bus-North 414-438-5400
First Student-West 414-649-2620 Riteway Bus-South 414-571-9001
Johnson School Bus 262-251-4230 Specialized Care 414-383-7333
Lakeside-North 414-536-2040 Transit Express 414-264-7433
Lakeside-South 414-744-7019 Wisconsin Central 414-481-1000

General Information


Eligibility for transportation services is governed by MPS Board of School Directors Administrative Policy 4.04. Eligibility is dependent upon the school a student attends and the student's home address. The following criteria are used to determine transportation eligibility:

  • A student in grades K-5 must reside one or more miles from their assigned school, outside of the school's designated attendance area and within the school’s transportation region.
  • Students in grades 6-12 must reside two or more miles from their assigned school, outside of the school's attendance area and within the school’s transportation region.

MPS charter schools set their own transportation rules. Please contact your student's charter school directly for details. Transportation region sizes differ based on the school type and programs within that school.

Walk Zones

Most schools designate “walk zones,” which typically fall within one or two miles from the school site, depending on grades offered by the school. Students living inside a school’s walk zone cannot receive transportation.


If you move outside of your elementary or middle school transportation region, your child may be provided transportation. If there is no existing bus stop, you must either provide transportation or change your child’s school. You will be asked to select a new school for your child for the following year or to sign a contract that says you will provide transportation.

Bus Stops

Students in grades K3–5 are expected to walk up to 1/4 mile to a safe corner stop. Students in grades 6-12 are expected to walk up to 1/2 mile to a safe corner stop.

Special Education/Access for Persons with Disabilities

Transportation for students with special education needs is provided based upon the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP). All district schools serve children with special needs; however, not all services are available at all schools. Parents are advised to work closely with their child’s IEP team to determine which schools are best equipped to meet the needs of the child. Children with disabilities must follow the same rules for transportation as other children, unless the IEP identifies a specialized transportation need or modification. Parents of children with limited mobility should discuss the accessibility needs of the child with the principal/building administrator of the school they wish the child to attend. Children with special needs are also eligible for the Chapter 220 Voluntary Student Transfer Program and for Public School Open Enrollment program.

Homeless Students

The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act defines the homeless as “individuals who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence.” This definition includes children and youth whose family has lost housing due to economic difficulties and is sharing the housing of others; who are living in motels, hotels, transitional or emergency shelters; or, whose nighttime residence is a place not normally used for housing. Unaccompanied youth and migratory children, who qualify as homeless because they are living in circumstances described above, have the same rights.

Homeless children have many rights and are eligible for many services under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act. For example, homeless children and youth have the right to stay in the school they attended prior to becoming homeless (the school of origin); transportation from their temporary residence to the school may be provided; Call (414) 475-8911 for more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open AllClose All
  How do I register my student to receive school bus service?

There is no need to register. If your child is eligible for transportation services and enrolled prior to the start of the school year, MPS will mail a postcard to your residence that provides your child's busing information. All transportation requests submitted after the school year begins will be handled by your child's school.

  How do I change my child's bus route or bus stop?

Individual schools facilitate all transportation requests. Schools will electronically request route adjustments for busing changes and notify you when the busing changes have been processed.

  What should I do if my child does not arrive at the assigned drop-off point at the expected time?

You should first call the bus company. You can also click the following link - Bus Company Phone Numbers - for a complete listing of bus companies that service MPS.

If you are unsure of the bus company or phone number, please call either your school or the transportation department at 414-475-8922.

  Can my child be suspended from riding a bus?

Transportation is a privilege. In cases of bus misconduct, school administrators or the department of transportation can temporarily or permanently suspend ridership privileges. Disciplinary actions are generally progressive in nature, but serious misconduct may result in immediate service suspension. When considering school bus suspensions, MPS follows due-process and just-cause procedures that give all parties an opportunity to be heard.

A bus suspension is not a suspension from school. Parents are responsible for providing transportation for their child if school bus service has been suspended.

  Who do I contact if there are problems on the bus?

Bullying and any other behavior concerns should be addressed immediately with school administrators. School bus drivers are responsible for reporting bus misconduct, but do not have the authority to suspend students. Please discuss with your child the importance of reporting issues as soon as they arise. Schools work with bus companies and the department of transportation to address any identified bus-ridership issues.

  What can I do if my child is not eligible for busing?

MPS School Board of Directors Policy 4.04 dictates transportation eligibility. If you live outside of a school's transportation region and are unable to provide your own transportation, you may need to find another school assignment. You can click on Find a School for assistance.






Contact Us

Phone: 414-475-8922
Fax: 414-475-8113

Business & Transportation Services  Senior Director:
David Solik-Fifarek
Office of School Administration

Transportation Supervisor-Ryan Elbert


Transportation Associates:


Southwest Region - Awilda Acevedo


Northwest Region - Stephanie Strong


Central Region - Tracy Johnson


East Region/Behavior Management - Carla Knox


High Schools -Kicia Scott


NIC/Partnership Schools, Athletics, Behavior Management - Lakita Wells



Field Trip Instructions & Links

Please follow the links below to get detailed instructions on how to request a field trip, to enter a field trip request application, or for MPS bid pricing for the current school year.

Private Schools - Electronic List Submissions

Private School Planning Assistant III:
Wendy Cantoral-Argueta

Please email with any questions or concerns.

For document submission, please attach an electronic copy of your documents to the email, be sure to include the name of your school, and indicate pertinent return contact information.

© Milwaukee Public Schools 2021
To top