Scholarships provide free money for college. Scholarships can reduce your out-of-pocket costs and student loan debt.
Academic and Merit Scholarships
Most scholarships are academic and merit based. Criteria for scholarships can vary widely. The application materials will provide all the details. Academic scholarships focus on GPA, standardized test scores, and other academic performance measures. Merit-based scholarships may not always have a GPA requirement but often focus on community service participation, leadership skills, performance arts, and/or athletic ability. Both academic and merit-based scholarships may have a need-based component.
Searching for Scholarships
Scholarship information is contained in a Google Folder. Click and bookmark this link to access the MPS Scholarship Google Folder. The folder contains event flyers, scholarship application materials, presentations, and the 2020-2021 Milwaukee Public Schools Scholarships & College and Career Opportunity List. All the materials can be viewed, downloaded, and printed. Students can see their school counselor and/or College and Career Centers advisor for one-on-one help.
Searching for Scholarships in Xello
You also can search for and save scholarships in Xello.
Directions for accessing national and local scholarship applications in Xello:
- Go to the Milwaukee Public Schools website (http://mps.milwaukee.k12.wi.us).
- Hover over the Students tab.
- Under Tools, click Student Toolbox, which will redirect to http://clever.com/in/Milwaukee.
- Log into Clever to access student applications and tools.
- Under the College and Career Readiness section, select Xello for Students. Log in with your student ID number and password.
- in Xello, click College Planning, then select Local Scholarships. You will be able to search for and save scholarships.