The Ambitious Instruction: Accelerating Learning plan brings the district back to the basics of quality learning and teaching. It unites all content areas around (1) formative practices, (2) explicit instruction, and (3) meaningful student engagement. Each grade level and content area will embrace specific instructional practices around these areas.
The following equity-oriented practices provide the framework for Ambitious Instruction: Accelerating Learning.
- Using high-quality, standards-aligned, district-adopted instructional materials
- Focusing on culturally and linguistically responsive teaching practices that promote learning
- Leveraging technology to empower students to create, collaborate, communicate, and think critically
During their time in the Milwaukee Public Schools, students will develop both the desire and the ability to become cultural leaders in society.
The mission of the Milwaukee Public Schools music department is to provide a comprehensive music education accessible to all students. We strive to create a collaborative music community that is enriched by cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. We believe in building a climate where creativity flourishes through the language of music.
Music is an integral part of a complete education. Music engages people in objective, subjective, symbolic, and concrete aspects of human experience.
Music education improves learning in other subjects. Quality music education
- develops aesthetic awareness and sensitivity;
- provides a source of enjoyment that enhances the quality of life from early experiences through adulthood;
- provides a means for creativity and self-expression;
- provides a sense of history and cultural heritage;
- provides opportunity for visible success and achievement in the school and community;
- develops life skills for work and personal success;
- makes the school and community a more pleasant place to learn, work, and live;
- increases the satisfaction derived from music throughout life; and
- increases understanding of other cultures through music.