Milwaukee Public Schools internships allow high school students to work for employers for a limited period of time to learn about a particular industry or occupation. An internship is designed as an exchange in which the student agrees to complete work that will benefit the employer and, in return, has opportunities to learn new skills, expand their knowledge of a particular field, and explore career options. Activities undertaken by interns may include
- special projects,
- a sample of tasks from different jobs, or
- tasks from one specific job.
Can students receive credit for high school internships?
Yes. A student must complete and submit the internship agreement form to receive credit at the end of the internship. The form must be submitted to the internship coordinator. The form requires the signatures of the student, parent, work supervisor, coordinating teacher/staff, and principal. A student must be assigned a mentor by the employer who will evaluate the student.
Internship students will receive high school credits as follows:
- 0.25 credits for 38 to 76 hours per semester
- 0.50 credits for 77 to 114 hours per semester
- 0.75 credits for 115 to 152 hours per semester
- 1.0 credit for 153 hours or more per semester
Who can participate in an internship? What are the eligibility requirements?
- Students must be in 11th or 12th grade and in good academic standing.
- Students must complete a Work-Readiness Session.
- Interns are expected to maintain acceptable behavior, follow the MPS Code of School/Classroom Conduct, and remain free from major discipline code infractions.
- Exceptions to any of these criteria may be allowed at the discretion of the coordinator.
How can a student learn more about available internships?
Internship opportunities are listed on the MPS Youth Job Board (mpsmke.com/jobboard) for youth apprenticeship and internship opportunities.
What are the steps for a student to get an internship?
- View the job board.
- Follow the application instructions.
- If hired, sign the internship agreement.
When can a student apply?
Students are encouraged to learn about internships during their sophomore year. Interns must be 16 years old or older and a high school junior or senior at the time the internship begins. Some applications have a firm deadline, and some applications are open on a rolling basis.