Special Education Liaisons for Families
Special Education Liaison for Families(SELF) Program
The Department of Strategic Partnerships & Customer Service is looking for family members interested in sharing their time and talents to assist with increasing family involvement opportunities.
- Parent or guardian of a child with a disability who is currently in school
- A willingness to receive special education and disability information training
- Has a desire to serve as a resource and contact for other families with children receiving special education services
- Desires to build positive relationships between schools and families
- Attend local trainings and meetings (up to 20 hours).
- Distribute information to families and school staff.
- Act as a resource to other families and staff in MPS schools.
- Plan activities and meetings for families and educators regarding special education and family engagement.
- Help encourage better communication and partnership building between families and school staff.
- Work with school administration to find ways to increase family engagement.
This opportunity is open to all families and is ideal for those wanting to work toward positive change. If you’re a “people person” who would like to help others learn how to navigate the special education and disability world, then this is for you!
For more information:
Contact Monica Lopez, Family Engagement Associate, at 414-333-1070 or firstname.lastname@example.org