Families play a vital role in the education of their children. Milwaukee Public Schools provides tools for engagement between families and staff to be equal partners in supporting student achievement and school improvement. When families and schools work together students are more successful and the entire community benefits.
What does this look like in schools?
All schools are working to meet the six standards of the MPS Family & Community Engagement framework:
Why are we doing this?
The Milwaukee Board of School Directors has set forth a goal of Student, Family and Community Engagement within MPS. The goal aligns with the district’s Five Priorities of Success, to Strengthen Communication and Collaboration. Empowering families is a part of how we work to build mutually beneficial partnerships and collective impact efforts to maximize resources that promote greater student outcomes.
- Schools are welcoming and culturally relevant environments
- Schools are connected to the community
- Schools have tools and knowledge needed to build relationships with families and the community
- Families have tools and knowledge needed to be active in school
- Families have opportunities to build peer networks
- Families have avenues to serve as leaders