MPSU operates in various capacities offering benefits to employees seeking teacher licensure.
- Milwaukee Public Schools University (MPSU) is a DPI approved EPP offering non-credit bearing teacher licensure programs in high need content areas.
- University Partners: Local universities, specifically Alverno College have partnered with MPSU to offer several initial teacher licensure programs.
Both MPSU and Alverno offer tuition to employees at significantly reduced rates!
- Tutoring services are available (at NO COST) to employees that are seeking licensure.
- Advising- MPSU staff are able to assist employees that are searching for a licensure program at a traditional university. We can provide you with a list of specific universities and agencies (within Wisconsin) that are approved to offer the teacher licensure program that you are seeking. (This benefit is also offered for free!)
MPSU strives to provide educational opportunities in high need areas; creating career pathways for current employees and providing diverse talent, knowledge of cultural responsive practices, urban education and equity.
The mission of Milwaukee Public Schools University (MPSU) is to create, promote, and cultivate individual and district effectiveness by developing and offering a range of innovative, and diverse educational and licensing programs in support of Milwaukee Public Schools' commitment to employee development and our broader community. MPSU will accomplish our mission by focusing on the following goals:
• Providing quality and cost-effective programs designed to meet the needs of MPS employees.
• Building capacity and pipelines around license shortage areas and providing ongoing leadership and support to the district’s succession efforts.
• Providing development opportunities that enhance knowledge, develop professional skills, and enrich the district by creating, promoting, and fostering an educational environment that values development, diversity, and growth opportunities for employees and the surrounding community.
• Initiating and managing all university partnerships with MPS, creating a comprehensive collection of resources for employees and education partners.