Dear Students and Families,
I want to congratulate everyone on a successful year! Thanks to the remarkable efforts of our teachers, staff, administrators, students, and families, we are closing out the year on a high note.
Much has happened this school year that will set the district, students, and families up for future success. First, I am proud of this year’s graduating class and the journeys that our graduates are about to embark on. MPS will be represented at more than a hundred colleges and universities across the country. Our new alumni are also beginning careers in trades, service organizations, military service, and as first responders.
A huge “thank you” to all students, families, and community members for their participation in the 2023–2028 strategic planning process. More than 5,000 students provided feedback for the plan, which will be launched in fall 2023. Please keep an eye out for updates this summer.
The district has been working hard to implement projects that will upgrade our school buildings. When students return in fall, many of the projects using Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds will be complete or underway. Every school will see upgrades that were selected by their school community. If you have questions about improvements coming to your child’s school, the principal has information about the projects that have been selected and the timelines for the work being done.
As summer gets started, I want to remind everyone to take part in summer learning! The best way to start strong in fall is to keep learning over the summer. MPS and the Milwaukee community have many opportunities for students to have fun learning during the summer months.
- MPS Summer Academy for students in grades K5 through 12 is for every child who wants to catch up or get ahead! Visit mpsmke.com/summeracademy for schedules.
- Children in kindergarten through grade 2 can log in to Seesaw throughout the summer for fun learning games and activities.
- Milwaukee Recreation has a wide assortment of programs and activities for children and adults throughout the summer. Visit Milwaukeerecreation.net.
- The Milwaukee Public Library Summer Reading Program allows access to great books and encourages children to read all summer long. Visit the Milwaukee Public Library Summer Reading page.
I would also like to remind everyone that our Department of Nutrition Services will serve breakfast and lunch on weekdays throughout the summer. More information, including locations and schedules, can be found at mpsmke.com/summermeals.
I look forward to seeing everyone back in classrooms in the fall. Please mark your calendars:
- Schools on the early start calendar will return to class on Monday, August 14, 2023.
- Schools on the traditional calendar will return to class on Tuesday, September 5, 2023.
Have a wonderful summer!
Dr. Keith P. Posley
Superintendent of Schools