Download Dr. Posley's Letter
(Arabic) | (Burmese) | (English) | (Hmong) | (Karen) | (Rohingya) | (Somali) | (Spanish)
June 2, 2021
Hello MPS Community,
As we move closer to finishing another school year, I am appreciative of the ongoing support from our families and staff during one of the toughest years. I am eager for all that lies ahead, starting with the excitement of summer.
For all of us here in the district, summer is the opportunity to continue planning for the next school year. We are thankful for the Milwaukee Board of School Directors' approval of the 2021–22 school budget and for a full in-person five days a week return to school and participation in sports and extracurriculars this fall. The district will provide a virtual learning program for families who feel this is the best option for their child. We will continue planning for a school year that is school-focused and student-centered with the goal of ensuring all of our young people and staff have the support they need to be successful in the fall.
In preparing for the summer and fall, we will continue collaborating with the Milwaukee Health Department to host vaccination clinics. Vaccines are available for everyone age 12 and older. Download the flyer to view the dates, times, and locations of the MPS vaccination sites.
We have a busy summer ahead and have numerous activities available for families and students. I encourage you to get involved and engaged in these wonderful opportunities.
Summer Academy Starts Soon
Summer Academy is for all students who want to have fun learning and start strong in fall! Visit mpsmke.com/summeracademy for all the details. Grades K5-8 can take part in a six-week camp with weekly themes in art, music, math, science, and literacy. Session runs June 22 to July 29 from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Middle and high school students can catch up on credits or get ahead. Two sessions are available: June 7-July 2 and July 6-29 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Summer Meal Delivery Program for MPS Families – Register by June 11
This summer, families who live in the 53205, 53206, or 53233 ZIP codes are invited to take part in the MPS Summer Meal Delivery Program. This program will deliver meal bundles with breakfast and lunch items in July and August and deliveries will be made three times per week at MPS bus stops and some individual homes. Families in the ZIP codes can register by June 11, 2021, to receive meals!
Families who live outside the delivery regions can receive meals from the MPS Summer Food Service Program by picking up meals at specific MPS schools. Pre-orders are required. Meals can be picked up Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. beginning June 21, 2021. Pre-ordered meal bundles will contain a packaged breakfast and lunch for anyone age 18 and under. On Mondays and Wednesdays, meal bundles will include breakfast and lunch for two days. On Fridays, children will receive breakfast and lunch for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Place meal orders at http://mpsmke.com/meals beginning June 7, 2021.
Summer Employment Opportunities
- The Earn & Learn Summer Youth Employment Program is still accepting applications for this summer! The program provides work experiences and career exposure to young adults ages 14–24 residing in Milwaukee County and the city of Milwaukee. Learn more at Employ Milwaukee Earn & Learn.
- Are you an MPS student looking for a job? Check out the MPS Youth Job Board! Dozens of jobs are posted for part-time, full-time, and summer jobs. Jobs include manufacturing, food service, healthcare, warehouse, and more. Visit the MPS Youth Job Board!
- Milwaukee Recreation is looking to hire full-time, part-time, and seasonal positions such as instructors, leaders, field attendants, coaches, umpires and referees that support programming at school and community locations throughout the city of Milwaukee. View current job opening with Milwaukee Recreation.
- Milwaukee County Parks hires seasonal employees with many different skill sets to serve the community. Visit the Milwaukee County Parks website to find positions that offer training and work experience in your area of interest.
- The Milwaukee Recreation Arts Internship Program is a paid summer internship program that provides high school students with practical job experience in arts-related positions. Learn more about the MKE Rec Arts Internship program guidelines and complete an application today!
Twilight Centers Summer Hours
Twilight Centers offer programming and extended hours at select schools so young people in the city have a safe place to go during the evenings. This season, five high school Twilight Centers (ages 12-18) and one middle school Twilight Center (ages 10-15) are open for young people to safely participate in enrichment activities, board games, esports, open gym shootaround, Twilight Swim (at South Division), and more! Learn more about the Twilight Centers open over summer.
College and Career Centers Summer Hours
The MPS College and Career Centers staff are available all summer to support your students in grades 6 through 12 (and beyond) with FREE college and career support. Stop in at the College and Career Center nearest you for college and career assistance! Four sites are open this summer Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. For more information on summer programs and virtual office hours, please visit mpsmke.com/CACC.
MKE Rec Opportunities for Youth, Adults, and Families
Throughout the year, Milwaukee Recreation provides the entire community with safe, fun, and affordable recreation and enrichment activities. Many programs are free or low-cost, and youth scholarships are available. Additional programs are offered during the summer months, giving children and families even more opportunities to stay active, discover new pastimes, and create lifelong memories. Summer registration is now open.
Affordable Summer Child Care
Milwaukee Recreation will offer affordable child care this summer at nearly 70 sites across the city. Locations will open on varying dates in June and prices vary by site. Find more information and an interactive map of sites at mkerec.net.
- MPS Reads over summer! Check at the beginning of each month for book recommendations, or work your way through previous months. You can also suggest your favorite books for the list.
- Join the Milwaukee Public Library summer reading programs for youth, teens, and adults.
Thank you to everyone for working to make the best of this school year. Let’s do our part to ensure a safe and productive summer!
Keith P. Posley
Superintendent of Schools