BLMA partners with Mentor Greater Milwaukee (MGM) and selected school personnel to bring Black and Latino male community mentors into high schools every month for real, honest conversations with youth about life, goal setting, and applying the BLMA Twelve Guiding Principles. BLMA will assist school-based staff in facilitating monthly sessions by reviewing topics and materials prior to each school’s chosen session date. A typical hour-long session includes:
- Opening self-care activity that incorporates mindfulness and journaling.
- Discussion questions derived from our 12 Guiding Principles, where mentors and mentees engage in a combination of informal and formal dialogue
- Catered lunch (where applicable)
Why is mentoring essential to BLMA? According to Bernadette Sanchez, PhD in Community Prevention Research, both formal and informal
- Lessens the negative effects of racial discrimination by promoting Black & Latino boys' racial identity, leading to positive effects in various aspects of their lives.
- Benefits Black & Latino boys in a range of areas; including academics, social-emotional well-being, mental health, and the prevention of risky behaviors, through group processes.
So, BLMA is always looking for Black & Latino males to participate as mentors in our monthly sessions! Anyone interested, please click on the link for the MGM Mentoring Connector on the right side of this page and select “MPS Department of Black and Latino Male Achievement (BLMA)”. We will help you select an appropriate site based on your availability and proximity to a participating school.
IMPORTANT: If you would like to work more than five hours per month with students in MPS schools, please visit the MPS Volunteer Application page and follow the instructions for “On-going Volunteer Process”. If you would like to pursue one-on-one mentoring or opportunities outside of school hours, MENTOR Greater Milwaukee and BLMA will help connect you with one of MPS’s local mentoring partners (Boys and Girls Club, Big Brothers Big Sisters, etc.)–just let us know!