Reference our "YES" Flowchart if you are interested in conversing with the BLMA team about implementing the First Thursdays Mentor Luncheons at your school. Contact our Planning Assistant David Emmanuelle Castillo - firstname.lastname@example.org - once you have your two additional contacts.
Our department is looking for Black & Latino males to participate as mentors. This year we will be serving Bradley Tech, Milwaukee School of Languages, North Division, Riverside, South Division, Vincent, and Washington high schools. Interested in becoming a mentor, click on MPS Volunteer Application and on First Thursdays Mentoring Registration Form in the column titled "Learn More" on the right side of this page. Indicate you will be working with BLMA and know this will be processed as soon as possible.
The BLMA 1st Thursday Mentor Luncheons are designed to offer open dialogue to lead conversations between our mentors and mentees for our luncheon sessions. The flow of our luncheons consist of:
- Opening self-care activity that incorporates mindfulness and journaling.
- Questions for the mentoring luncheon derived from our 12 Guiding Principles.
- "Breaking Bread" component, where our mentors and mentees engage in a combination of formal and informal dialogue.
According to Bernadette Sanchez, PhD in Community Prevention Research, both formal and informal mentoring:
- Lessens the negative effects of racial discrimination by promoting Black & Latino boys' racial identity, leading to positive effects in various aspects of their lives.
- Benefits Black & Latino boys in a range of areas; including academics, social-emotional well-being, mental health, and the prevention of risky behaviors, through group processes.
In order to view this video while on the MPS network, you will need to visit this link AND login to YouTube (using your MPS Google account) in order to have unrestricted YouTube access. This can be done by logging in near the top right corner of the YouTube landing page. If you have questions on accessing your MPS Google account, please contact Tech Support at 414-438-3400.