The Milwaukee Bucks hosted their inaugural Team Up for Change event. The event consisted of:
- Keynote speeches by student Zion Rogers and renowned spoken word artist Clint Smith.
- An educational series facilitated by Public Allies Milwaukee, addressing the various "forms of discrimination" young people face.
- Workshops facilitated by Safe & Sound, covering a variety of topics from community safety to positive identity.
- A panel conversation from Milwaukee Bucks and Sacramento Kings owners about the importance of corporate social responsibility.
Our department would like to send a special thanks to the Milwaukee Bucks for extending the invitation to our BLMA Ambassadors. We wish them the best this season as they strive for a championship.
The Mission of the Department of Black & Latino Male Achievement will collaboratively create the systems, structures, and spaces that guarantee success for all Black and Latino boys and young men in Milwaukee Public Schools.
BLMA Vision is that Black & Latino boys and young men will possess an affirmed sense of identity, dignity and self-confidence, and will have the necessary tools to triumphantly navigate college, career and life.
Department Priority Strategies
Connect with local and national initiative to implement best practices for:
- Black and Latino Male Mentorship.
- Improve School Culture through Dignity, Equitable Practices, and Capacity Building.
- Manhood Development Academies.
- Positive Narrative Change Campaign.
- Recruit Black and Latino Male Teachers.
- Use School and District Data to Improve Academic and Life Outcomes.
Department Key Messages
- Black and Latino male students are assets to our schools and commnity.
- Black and Latino male students are always the center of our work.
- Black and Latino male students are not broken, the system is.
- BLMA is not a savior, but a partner in improving academic and life outcomes for Black and Latino male students.
- BLMA is a hub between work happening at the city, state, and national level.
- BLMA aims to collaborate with both internal external stakeholders.