SAVE THE DATES
WHEN & WHERE: Monday, March 16, 2020 (Middle School) & Tuesday, March 17, 2020 (High School) from 08:30 AM-02:30 PM @ University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Student Union (2200 E. Kenwood Blvd. Milwaukee, WI. 53211).
Highly recommended to complete this due to limited space for each day. The window for pre-registration is from Monday, 10/21/2019 to Monday, 11/18/2019. Know the Registration Form will be shared with your school on Monday, 02/03/2020.
Chaperones are mandatory and the planning committee ask that schools have a ratio of 1 chaperone for every 10 students (1:10). In addition, schools are responsible for transportation to-and-from the summit, lunch will be provided at the summit, and a new addition this year will be a Community Resource Fair. Complete your Pre-Registration Form using the following link - http://www.tinyurl.com/uwmbmas2020-prereg.
CALL FOR PROPOSALS
The UW-Milwaukee African American Male Initiative (AAMI) invites you to submit a proposal for the 7th Annual Black Male AchievementSummit. We are seeking engaging and interactive workshop presenters to share effective, evidence-based practices for Black male. The last day to submit a proposal is Friday, December 13, 2019. Get started on submitting your workshop proposal using the following link - www.tinyurl.com/uwmbmas2020.
The Department of Black and Latino Male Achievement hosted two events for the city's 2019 Boys and Men of Color (BMoC) Week. The first event occured on Tuesday, October 1 and was The 2019 Art Start Portrait Project Opening Exhibition. The portrait project simultaenously provides students a space of healing-centered engagement and a platform of self-determination that liberates participants from the racist stereotyping of Black and Latino males. Of equal importance, the team also hosted the 1st Thursdays Mentor Luncheon Kickoff at the Fiserv Forum. The BLMA Guiding Principle for this session was "Academic Success." The BLMA team would like to send a special thanks to all of our mentors, partners, and sponsors that helped in making our events a success.
The Mission of the Department of Black & Latino Male Achievement will collaboratively create the systems, structures, and spaces that guarantee success for all Black and Latino boys and young men in Milwaukee Public Schools.
BLMA Vision is that Black & Latino boys and young men will possess an affirmed sense of identity, dignity and self-confidence, and will have the necessary tools to triumphantly navigate college, career and life.
DEPARTMENT PRIORITY STRATEGIES
Connect with local and national initiative to implement best practices for:
- Black and Latino Male Mentorship.
- Improve School Culture through Dignity, Equitable Practices, and Capacity Building.
- Manhood Development Academies.
- Positive Narrative Change Campaign.
- Recruit Black and Latino Male Teachers.
- Use School and District Data to Improve Academic and Life Outcomes.
DEPARTMENT KEY MESSAGES
- Black and Latino male students are assets to our schools and commnity.
- Black and Latino male students are always the center of our work.
- Black and Latino male students are not broken, the system is.
- BLMA is not a savior, but a partner in improving academic and life outcomes for Black and Latino male students.
- BLMA is a hub between work happening at the city, state, and national level.
- BLMA aims to collaborate with both internal external stakeholders.