Black and Latino Male Achievement
The Mission of the Department of Black & Latino Male Achievement collaboratively works to improve the outcomes of Black and Latino male students within Milwaukee Public Schools by challenging systems, structures, and spaces of oppression, and seeks to create conditions that promote greater success.
BLMA Vision is that Black & Latino boys and young men will possess an affirmed sense of identity, dignity and self-confidence, and will have the necessary tools to triumphantly navigate K-12, college, career and life.
Department Priority Strategies
Connect with local and national initiative to implement best practices for:
- Black and Latino Male Mentorship.
- Improve School Culture and Climate.
- Manhood Development Academies.
- Positive Narrative Change Campaign.
- Recruitment and Retention of Black and Latino Male Teachers.
- Use School and District Data to Improve Academic and Life Outcomes.
Department Key Messages
- Black and Latino male students are assets to our schools and commnity.
- Black and Latino male students are always the center of our work.
- Black and Latino male students are not broken, the system is.
- BLMA is not a savior, but a partner in improving academic and life outcomes for Black and Latino male students.
- BLMA is a hub between work happening at the city, state, and national level.
- BLMA aims to collaborate with both internal external stakeholders.