Friday, October 2, 2020
During October, Milwaukee Public Schools will offer free weekly produce bags at MPS Stop, Grab, and Go locations. Families are invited to enjoy fresh fruit and vegetables!
Produce bags will be provided by the MPS Department of Nutrition Services through a grant from the United States Department of Agriculture Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP). MPS families can receive a free bag of fresh produce every Thursday during the month of October.
- One produce bag will be provided per family while supplies last.
- Bags will be available during regular meal distribution hours (11:00 A.M. to 1:30 P.M.).
- Families can pick up a produce bag without students being present.
- The FFVP produce bags will Celebrate Culture Through Food. The four cultures being celebrated are Hispanic, European, Asian, and African American.
- Each produce bag will offer fresh fruits and vegetables from around the world, nutrition facts, and ethnic recipes. The items in each bag will vary each week.
Produce bags have been specially selected and designed to Celebrate Culture Through Food. Weekly themes and recipes will center on four regions:
- October 8: Hispanic Culture--Avocados, Cilantro, Garlic, Jalapeño pepper, Lime, Mango, Plantain, Roma tomatoes, White onion
- October 15: European Culture--Eggplant, Garlic, Kiwi, Parsley, Persimmon, Roma tomatoes, Thyme, Yellow bell pepper, Yellow squash, Zucchini
- October 22: Asian Culture--Bok choy, Carrots, Cilantro, Dragon fruit, Fresh coconut, Ginger, Green onions, Purple and green cabbage, Red pepper
- October 29: African American Culture--Cilantro, Collard greens, Garlic, Jalapeño pepper, Lime, Okra, Red onion, Yams, Yellow onion
The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program is designed to promote healthy eating. Families can support this program by:
- Being a role model for your child and trying new fruits and vegetables together;
- Using the nutrition information in each bag to learn about the produce with your child; and
- Having your child help you make the recipes provided in each bag.