Friday, May 22, 2020
Summer provides a critical learning window for many MPS students. To support credit recovery and other learning needs, Summer Academy will take place through an online platform this year.
July Academy, July 6 to 31—All students in grades K5 to 12 and those taking part in Extended School Year can attend. Students register by grade level at July Academy Grades 8-12 or July Academy Grades K-7. Students will build math and literacy skills, participate in “live” online instruction with teachers, and receive guidance with digital resources. Eligible students:
- Any student in grades K5–8 looking to strengthen skills, gain extra practice in reading and/or math, or 8th-graders needing support for the transition to high school
- Students in grades K5–5 during the 2019–20 school year currently participating in an MPS intervention program who wish to continue their intervention
- Students in grades 6, 7, and 8 in need of additional math and/or reading through Edgenuity online learning
- High school students who need to retake a class (credit recovery) or take a missing class for credit
Register by June 26 for July Session
High school students can earn up to one credit in each session through credit recovery (retaking a course to earn credit) or one-half credit each session through credit acceleration (taking a course for credit the first time).
How will online learning work?
- Students will need a computer or Chromebook and Internet access daily. MPS is currently providing Chromebooks to students; families should make requests now to their school principal.
- July Academy will be held Monday through Friday from 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.
- Students move through designated coursework at their own pace at home.
- Students will work with licensed teachers.
- Summer Academy is open to all city of Milwaukee residents who need to recover or obtain credits.
- Non-MPS students will need to submit a transcript and letter from the school counselor indicating the needed coursework.
Registration is now open! Applications are available online on the Summer Academy web pages listed above; paper forms are available at MPS Stop, Grab, and Go sites. Paper forms can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or can be dropped at Stop, Grab, and Go sites. Families may also mail their forms to MPS Room 150, 5225 W. Vliet St., Milwaukee, WI 53208.
Students not currently enrolled in MPS are eligible! Families must submit their registration and have their school counselor email a current copy of their transcript and a letter of course requests to email@example.com. Students who are not city of Milwaukee residents must submit tuition payment at the time of registration. Course selections will be determined by a school counselor.
Special note: Students with no course progress two or more days in Summer Academy may be dropped from their courses; in this event, students will not earn credit for those courses.
To learn more, visit the Summer Academy page of the MPS website, contact your child’s school counselor, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.