Thursday, March 23, 2023
Join in the celebration! MPS will celebrate students with special needs and receiving special education services during Celebrating Abilities Week, March 27-31, 2023. The entire community is encouraged to show support for students of all abilities.
MPS welcomes all students of all abilities. The district supports students with cognitive, physical, social, emotional, and mental health needs.
Schools will take part in Spirit Week activities with special dress themes each day. Themes are designed to showcase abilities and highlight inclusiveness.
A virtual kick-off event will take place Monday, March 27, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. All parents and guardians are invited to hear from guest speakers and learn about valuable resources available to support your child’s educational journey. Schools will share more information.
Families should also watch for special events designed to support families whose children have special needs along with activities to promote inclusion of all abilities.
Students and staff across the district can take part in the Spirit Week themes below to show support!
- Monday, March 27: Team Player Day! Wear a jersey or team gear to show that you are a team player in creating a safe environment for everyone in your school.
- Tuesday, March 28: Superhero Day! Show your superpower with a positive message or superhero gear. Let us see your courage, bravery, and willingness to stand up for others.
- Wednesday, March 29: Friendship Day! Wear your pajamas and get comfortable spending time with someone new and learning new things about them.
- Thursday, March 30: Mix & Match Day! Celebrate differences and be unique. Wear an outfit to express yourself – stripes, polka dots, plaids, or whatever is fun for you!
- Friday, March 31: School Spirit Day! Wear your school colors or school gear to show that you are part of the team.
Be sure to take photos during Spirit Week and post on social media using #MPSProud.