Early Education and Kindergarten Options
Many schools offer before- and after-school care for a full day of learning. All MPS students receive free breakfast and lunch. Help prepare your child for a lifetime of learning!
Head Start helps ensure children are ready for school through half- and full-day programs for three-year-olds and full-day programs for four-year- olds. Head Start is federally funded and acceptance is based on income limits. Head Start enrolls all year. Visit the Head Start office at Lee Learning Center, 921 W. Meinecke Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53206, or call (414) 252-0350.
- K3: Limited programs are available at some schools. Children must turn 3 by September 1 to be eligible.
- K4: Programs are widely available. Children must turn 4 by September 1 to be eligible.
- K5: Programs are widely available. Children must turn 5 by September 1 to be eligible. Wisconsin law requires children to complete five-year-old kindergarten before entering first grade.*
How to Enroll
- Visit the MPS district website and enroll online at mpsmke.com/enroll
- Enroll in person at any MPS school.
- Visit the District Enrollment Center which is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
*Please ask for details.