Get a First-Class Start at MPS
Free transportation for Head Start students!
Be part of Milwaukee’s most experienced Head Start program!
MPS is home to Milwaukee’s most experienced Head Start program. Head Start is a free child and family development program offering half-day educational programs for three-year-old kindergarten and full-day programs for four-year-old children.
Students also receive
- breakfast/snack and lunch,
- health services and screenings,
- parent involvement opportunities, and
- family resources.
Families must meet federal income guidelines to qualify. Children receiving foster/kinship care are automatically accepted. Enrollment priority is given to children with special needs. Seats fill quickly! Call MPS Head Start at 414-777-7850 to see if your family qualifies and to find a program near you.
It is vital for children to have a strong academic foundation. A child’s first classroom experience should be a positive time that builds self-esteem and confidence as he or she continues to learn and grow. Sometimes children need extra help to keep up with the initial challenges of a classroom environment.
The Head Start program is based on the belief that children learn best through a combination of support services. This preschool program provides parental, educational, medical, nutritional, psychological, and social support to help children consistently succeed.
What is Head Start?
- A free child and family development program
- A half- or full-day classroom experience
- A solid curriculum to establish school-readiness skills
What Does Head Start Offer?
- Individualized educational experiences
- A daily breakfast/snack and lunch
- Health services and screenings
- Parental involvement/volunteer participation
- Family resources
- The child must be three or four years old on or before September 1, the year of enrollment.
Remember to bring the following:
1. Proof of income (12 months prior total household income), which can include
- W2 tax form or 1040 tax form
- Recent check stub (12 months prior total household income)
- Foster care/kinship placement letter
- Supplemental Social Security (SSI)
- W-2 Public Assistance (TANF)
Please note that total household income includes the income of your spouse and the child’s parental guardians residing in the household and related by blood, marriage, or adoption. Total income includes any child support or maintenance payments received.
2. A certified copy of the child’s original birth certificate
3. Proof of address (proving residency in the City of Milwaukee)
4. Immunization record