Community service is a part of the Milwaukee Public Schools GED Option #2 (GEDO #2) requirements.
Students enrolled in MPS GEDO #2 courses are required to complete one of the following:
- 50 hours of community service (25 hours each semester) or
- 25 hours of community service and 25 hours of paid employment
Why community service?
Students who participate in thoughtfully designed community service experiences are more likely to do well in school, graduate, vote, and become responsible citizens.
When young people use their talents and skills to help others and better their communities, they also help themselves. Youth volunteers can increase self-confidence, learn new skills, explore career options, build a resume, support causes they care about, meet new people, and have fun!
Ask for help
Fulfilling the community service option for graduation takes a lot of initiative, hard work, and discipline. It may be helpful to share this information with your parent/guardian(s) and ask for their ideas and help. You might even want to suggest that your community service be a family venture. Your parents, or another adult friend or mentor, may be able to help you
- choose a project that matches your interests or hobbies,
- check to make sure that the site you are considering is safe and able to accommodate you,
- fill out any required paperwork, or
- provide transportation, if necessary.