Message from Chief Academic Officer
Welcome to the 2016-17 School Year! It is an honor to have your child(ren) in Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS.) This letter is to inform you of the academic standards that MPS uses in our classrooms. The following is a list of specific standards:
- Common Core State Standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics
- Next Generation Science Standards. These standards identify content and Science and Engineering practices that all students should learn from K-12 grade. These include Elementary Science, Physical Science, Life Science, Earth and Space Science, and Engineering, Technology and Applications of Science in middle and high school.
- Common Core Essential Elements to provide students with significant intellectual disabilities the opportunity to be involved in and meet the same challenging expectations that have been established for all students in the Common Core State Standards
- Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards which stress the importance of creating a base of child-initiated and teacher-initiated activities. These standards reflect the belief that children should be provided with opportunities to explore and apply new skills through child-initiated and teacher-initiated activities, and through interactions with peers, adults, and materials.
- Wisconsin Academic Standards in the following areas:
- Art and Design Education
- Environmental Education
- Health Education
- Information and Technology
- Music Education
- Nutrition Education
- Career and Technical Ed
- Personal Financial Literacy
- Physical Education
- School Counseling
- Social Studies
- Theatre Education
- World Languages
For a complete list, please visit the website for the Department of Public Instruction: http://dpi.wi.gov/standards. We look forward to a successful 2016-17!
Chief of Academics
Please wait while we gather your results.
Download this letter in additional languages