Milwaukee Public Schools established the District Advisory Council (DAC) to ensure that parents of all students have an opportunity to share their ideas about the needs of children, assist in the planning and operation of Title I programs for children and participate in evaluating the success of Title I efforts. Today, the DAC is a diverse group of families committed to lending their voice on current issues faced by Milwaukee Public Schools.
The District Advisory Council (DAC) meets monthly to learn about and advise on district strategies and programs impacting families, particularly related to Title I. All school leaders must identify two representatives that are family members of students in their school to the DAC. All delegates are able to serve for two school years ending in June of the second year, regardless of starting month. The DAC recognizes the most recent representative form submitted by a school leader for which family members are currently serving on the DAC.
An official DAC School Representative Form must be completed and signed by the school leader.
2018-2019 Meeting Dates
All DAC meetings occur the first Thursday of the month, October through June, at MPS Central Office (5225 W. Vliet St., Milwaukee, WI 53208) in the Auditorium from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Prior to each meeting a light meal and refreshments will be provided begining at 5:30.
- October 4, 2018
- November 1, 2018
- December 6, 2018
- January 3, 2019
- February 7, 2019
- March 7, 2019
- April 4, 2019
- May 2, 2019
- June 6, 2019
School DAC Representatives as well as other families or community members are welcome to attend. Parking is available in the back parking lot, translation services are always available, and free child care (potty trained children over age three) is provided.
2018-2019 Meeting Handouts:
(Updated approximately 48 hours prior to and after a meeting)
DAC Standing Committees
The District Advisory Council By-Laws state that, "The Standing Committees of the MPS DAC shall be the Election and Bylaws Committee and Family Action and Training Committee. "
The Election and Bylaws Committee is responsible for:
- Conducting all elections of Executive Committee members for the DAC.
- Overseeing that the function of the DAC is maintained within the bylaws, including amendments of the bylaws.
The role of the Family Action and Training Committee is to:
- Develop, plan, monitor, evaluate and modify programs that will familiarize DAC members with the DAC and their role in it.
- Create the DAC binder, conduct orientation in October, family events, and outreach.
- Actively seek ways to bring programs to the DAC that will help increase family engagement throughout MPS.
- Seek feedback from DAC members, find out what needs families have and find programs/trainings to address those needs.
DAC Executive Committee
Every November the DAC holds elections for seats on the Executive Committee which is made up of nine members: Council Chairman, Vice-Chairman, Recording Secretary, Communications Secretary, Parliamentarian, Sergeant at Arms, and 3 Members at Large.
The Executive Committee is a working committee and as such may have multiple committees reporting and participating in meetings and business related to the DAC. This committee is responsible for composing agendas for DAC meetings and overseeing all activities.
2017-2018 Executive Committee:
- Council Chairman* - Larry McAdoo
- Vice-Chairman - Maria Ortiz
- Recording Secretary* - Jenni Hofschulte
- Communications Secretary - Demetria Anderson
- Parliamentarian - Terry Longo
- Sergeant at Arms* - Tracey Dent
- Member at Large* - Valerie Lambrecht
- Member at Large* - Diana Veloz
- Member at Large - Carrieanna Johnson
Voting takes place each November. Those positions with a * are elected in odd years, those without in even years.