In Grade 2, children continue to learn addition and subtraction. They increase their knowledge of geometrical shapes and describe data. They learn to use measurement tools.
For more information see: www.corestandards.org
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
• Add and subtract within 20.
• Work with equal groups of objects to gain foundations for multiplication.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Understand place value.
• Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract.
Measurement and Data
• Measure and estimate lengths in standard units.
• Relate addition and subtraction to length.
• Work with time and money.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Reason with shapes and their attributes.