Milwaukee Public Schools began work to update the district’s strategic plan in late 2012 with a series of public meetings that allowed facilitators to collect input from our staff, students and members of our community. This inclusive process has continued with a series of updates, surveys and outreach sessions in the district. Feedback collected in person and online was carefully reviewed and used in the process to update the district’s strategic plan.
The key elements of the strategic plan of Milwaukee Public Schools – the mission, vision, core beliefs and goals – were updated to incorporate feedback received in public meetings, parent and student gatherings, and our online surveys.
At its February 2014 meeting, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors unanimously approved the updated key elements that are the basis for an updated districtwide strategic plan. The newly approved key elements are as follows:
Milwaukee Public Schools is a diverse district that welcomes all students and prepares them for success in higher education, post-educational opportunities, work, and citizenship.
Milwaukee Public Schools will be among the highest-student-growth school systems in the country. All district staff will be committed to providing an equitable educational environment that is child-centered, supports achievement, and respects and embraces diversity. Schools will be safe, welcoming, well-maintained, and accessible community centers that meet the needs of all. Relevant, rigorous, and successful instructional programs will be recognized and replicated. The district and its schools will collaborate with students, families, and community for the benefit of all.
- Students come first.
- Wherever students are learning is the most important place in the district.
- Educators and school staffs have high expectations for all students and provide the foundation for their academic success.
- Leadership, educator development, and child-driven, data-informed decision making are keys to student achievement.
- Equity drives all district decision making.
- Involved families are integral to increasing student achievement.
- Student voice is encouraged and respected.
- Quality community partnerships add value.
- Increased operational and financial efficiencies are consistently pursued to support learning opportunities for our students.
- Central Services supports student achievement, efficient and effective operations, and student, family, and community engagement.
- Public education provides the cornerstone of American democracy.
- Academic achievement
- Student, family, and community engagement
- Effective and efficient operations