In order to view these videos while on the MPS network, you will need to visit this link AND login to YouTube (using your MPS Google account) in order to have unrestricted YouTube access. This can be done by logging in near the top right corner of the YouTube landing page. If you have questions on accessing your MPS Google account, please contact Tech Support at 414-438-3400.
Committee members, volunteers, and workshop presenters of the 6th Annual Black Male Achievement Summit at University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee gather for a photo. The summit occured on March 18-19 of 2019 and had over thirteen hundred participants for both days. The theme of the conference was "Black Boys Thriving: Reimagining the Narrative."
The Mission of the Department of Black & Latino Male Achievement will collaboratively create the systems, structures, and spaces that guarantee success for all Black and Latino boys and young men in Milwaukee Public Schools.
BLMA Vision is that Black & Latino boys and young men will possess an affirmed sense of identity, dignity and self-confidence, and will have the necessary tools to triumphantly navigate college, career and life.
DEPARTMENT PRIORITY STRATEGIES
Connect with local and national initiative to implement best practices for:
- #ChangeTheNarrative Campaign - Reimagining Black and Latino Boys and Men;
- Black and Latino Male Mentorship;
- Improve School Culture through Dignity, Equitable Practices, and Capacity Building;
- Manhood Development Academies;
- Recruit Black and Latino Male Teachers;
- Use School and District Data to Improve Academic and Life Outcomes.
DEPARTMENT KEY MESSAGES
- Black and Latino male students are assets to our schools and commnity.
- Black and Latino male students are not broken, the system is.
- BLMA is not a savior, but a partner in improving academic and life outcomes for Black and Latino male students.
- BLMA is a hub between work happening at the city, state, and national level.
- BLMA aims to collaborate with both internal external stakeholders.