In order to view these videos while on the MPS network, you will need to visit this link AND login to YouTube (using your MPS Google account) in order to have unrestricted YouTube access. This can be done by logging in near the top right corner of the YouTube landing page. If you have questions on accessing your MPS Google account, please contact Tech Support at 414-438-3400.
The weekend of April 27-28, 2019 marked the photo shoot weekend for The 2019 Art Start Portrait Project. Saturday's photo shoot was for students from Bradley Tech and Sunday's was for students from Sherman Multicultural Arts School. Students concepts for the photoshoot were developed through the creative process that Art Start and BLMA have engaged in with the young men.
The Mission of the Department of Black & Latino Male Achievement will collaboratively create the systems, structures, and spaces that guarantee success for all Black and Latino boys and young men in Milwaukee Public Schools.
BLMA Vision is that Black & Latino boys and young men will possess an affirmed sense of identity, dignity and self-confidence, and will have the necessary tools to triumphantly navigate college, career and life.
DEPARTMENT PRIORITY STRATEGIES
Connect with local and national initiative to implement best practices for:
- #ChangeTheNarrative Campaign - Reimagining Black and Latino Boys and Men;
- Black and Latino Male Mentorship;
- Improve School Culture through Dignity, Equitable Practices, and Capacity Building;
- Manhood Development Academies;
- Recruit Black and Latino Male Teachers;
- Use School and District Data to Improve Academic and Life Outcomes.
DEPARTMENT KEY MESSAGES
- Black and Latino male students are assets to our schools and commnity.
- Black and Latino male students are not broken, the system is.
- BLMA is not a savior, but a partner in improving academic and life outcomes for Black and Latino male students.
- BLMA is a hub between work happening at the city, state, and national level.
- BLMA aims to collaborate with both internal external stakeholders.