Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Milwaukee Public Schools!
Visit our online application to view and search on-going volunteer opportunities. Check out our online application guide for new volunteers or returning volunteers.
Short-term and Special Volunteer Opportunities
- Day One Greeter - Welcome our students back to school this fall on the first day of school! Opportunities to serve are on the mornings of August 14 and September 5 at sites throughout the city. Pon poms and cow bells are welcome at this annual celebratory tradition.
- Gilbert Brown Football Camp - Support this fantastic opportunity for Milwaukee-area youth to take part in a free, football skills camp alongside former Packer Gilbert Brown, July 11, 12, or 13 during the day. No football experience necessary. Contact Jeannette St. Onge at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Tutor High School Students Each Week - Serve as a tutor and help with homework at one of our College and Career Centers within an MPS high school, each Wednesday afternoon, starting September 27. Apply by August 21st!
- Mentor a Teen - Serve as a mentor to a teen at risk of not graduating from high school through the Challenge Academy. Mentors must be 23 years or older and willing to visit their mentee twice at Ft. McCoy, then touch base weekly with their mentee once he or she returns to Milwaukee.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to complete the application?
All applicants who would like to volunteer regularly or on an on-going basis must apply online once each calendar year. One-time volunteers or chaperones for field trips are not required to complete the application, but may be asked to do so by the school or department.
- I filled out an application last year. Do I have to complete another one?
Yes, applicants who would like to volunteer regularly or on an on-going basis must apply online each calendar year.
- I don’t have a Social Security number or an email address but I would like to volunteer. What should I do?
The online volunteer application requires, among other things, a Social Security number and an email address. If you do not have one of these, please submit a paper application to the school where you would like to volunteer or to Heather Aschoff, Partnership Volunteer Associate.
- What if I want to volunteer at more than one school (or location)?
Please apply to each position you would like to volunteer for on the online application. This may be at more than one location or more than one position at a single location.
- What if I’m not sure I’ll pass the background check?
We strongly encourage those interested in volunteering to apply. There is no cost for a background check. Volunteer applicants must be thorough and truthful in their disclosure of any felonies, misdemeanors, or ordinance violations.
- Do I have to attend the Volunteer Orientation?
We strongly encourage all volunteers to attend a Volunteer Orientation. This hour-long session goes over the general guidelines for volunteers and provides a broader picture of the volunteer work that is done in the district. Even veteran volunteers will probably learn something new!
- Can I volunteer if I’m under 18 years of age?
We have many teen volunteers. Minors who are interested in volunteering regularly or on an on-going basis must complete a paper application and have a parent or guardian’s signature. Applications should be turned in to the district’s Partnership Volunteer Associate, Heather Aschoff, at email@example.com. One-time volunteers or chaperones for field trips are not required to complete the application, but may be asked to do so by the school or department.
Upcoming Volunteer Events
Please wait while we gather your results.
Please wait while we gather your results.
Community members age 55 or better are invited to serve as a volunteer tutor at select elementary schools and help with literacy. Volunteer tutors are trained on tutoring techniques and volunteer in a classroom one day a week, for a minimum of 90 minutes.
Call 414-220-8653 to get started!
Are you an MPS teen looking for volunteer opportunities?
Check out some of this info to get started volunteering!