Monday, April 17, 2017
Schools are Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Schools of Recognition
Above: Whittier students (file photo)
The Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction just announced 16 Milwaukee Public Schools as Title I School of Recognition honorees for the 2016-17 academic year, an honor that recognizes success in educating students from low-income families. Fifteen MPS schools are being recognized by the state for "Beating-the-Odds" -- low-income schools that have higher-than-average reading and mathematics scores when compared to similar schools around Wisconsin. In addition, Whittier Elementary School is receiving the prestigious distinction as both a "High-Achieving" and a "High-Progress" school.
The 15 "Beating-the-Odds" schools include one school that has earned the honor for 12 straight years, two others that have been recognized for eight consecutive years and another for the seventh year in a row.
Milwaukee Public Schools' 16 honorees were recently announced as Wisconsin Title I School of Recognition winners for the 2016-17 academic year, an honor that recognizes success in educating students from low-income families. They include one school that has earned the honor for 12 straight years, two others that have been recognized for eight consecutive years and another for the seventh year in a row.
"These 16 schools should act as inspiring, real-life examples to Wisconsinites that all students can achieve," MPS Superintendent Dr. Darienne Driver said. "Congratulations to the students, families, educators and support staff who work hard every day to help students succeed. We continue to take meaningful steps across the district connected to our eight Strategic Objectives so that more of our students and schools reach this level of success."
The MPS honorees are:
High-Achieving & High-Progress Schools
- Whittier Elementary School
High-Progress & Beating the Odds Schools
- Milwaukee College Preparatory School-Lloyd Street
Beating the Odds Schools
- Academy of Accelerated Learning, 8
- Alcott Elementary School, 5
- Curtin Elementary School
- Garland Elementary School
- Greenfield Bilingual School, 5
- Hmong American Peace Academy
- Honey Creek Continuous Progress Charter School
- Humboldt Park Elementary School, 5
- Milwaukee College Preparatory School–36th Street, 8
- Milwaukee College Preparatory School–38th Street
- Milwaukee Spanish Immersion School, 12
- Rufus King International School, 7
- Wedgewood Park International School
- Whitman Elementary School
NOTE: The number after a school name indicates the consecutive years the school has received the recognition award.